Eligibility and Recertification Requirements
All applicants must meet certain criteria in order to take the examination for certification as follows:
Eligibility Requirements for Initial Certification by Examination
- Option 1: A baccalaureate degree granted by a United States regionally accredited College/University or foreign equivalent*, and at least 6 months of experience in the medical representative or related role (e.g. sales representative, manager, training) actively providing service/information to healthcare providers.
*Applicants with foreign degrees must obtain United States Equivalency Analysis through one of the following organizations:
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (ies.aacrao.org)
- Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc. (www.acei1.com)
This Analysis must be submitted with Application.
- Option 2: At least 2 years of related experience, working as a medical representative and/or managing, educating, or training medical representatives
MRCC will conduct a random audit of all requirements of 10% of successful certificants before certificates and cards are mailed to those randomly chosen participants.
Certification Renewal Requirements
Certification renewal is required every 2 years. Certification may be renewed through either Option A or Option B below; however, all certification renewal candidates must renew certification by examination at least once during every 6-year period.
- Option A: Renew certification by completing 32 contact hours of approved continuing education during the 2-year period. Approved continuing education providers will be designated by MRCC.
- Option B: Successfully complete the certification examination prior to expiration of the current 2-year certification period.
A grace period of 6 months may be offered for those failing to meet recertification requirements prior to their individual deadlines.
Continuing Education Requirements
MRCC is in the process of approving Continuing Education (CE) providers and/or courses. Information and links will be posted here as they become available.